Bishop Finn Puts CCHD Funds to Good Use

Posted by Lisa Graas

Folks, THIS is legitimate social justice work and my hat is off to Bishop Finn of Kansas City for his support of common sense social justice work. Unfortunately, 75% of CCHD funds collected in Kansas City go to the national fund. No word on how that funding is allocated, but what Bishop Finn is doing with local funding is true social justice consistent with our belief regarding subsidiarity. Good for him.

From The Catholic Key, the diocesan newspaper of the Catholic Diocese of Kansas City:

CCHD grants further efforts to end the cycle of poverty
By Marty Denzer
Catholic Key Reporter

KANSAS CITY – The Diocesan Office of Human Rights awarded grants to six area community groups at the annual Catholic Campaign for Human Development awards banquet July 19. Held in the Jubilee Room of St. Patrick Church in Kansas City, the annual awards banquet highlighted the programs of the community groups.

CCHD funds programs that empower people to make decisions; seek solutions to problems, and find ways to improve their own lives and their neighborhoods.

In remarks before presenting the grant awards, Bishop Robert Finn described service as “truly a human endeavor.”

“In our faith,” he said, “we see our service as a way of affirming the dignity of every human person.” Physical and spiritual needs are filled ¾ a human endeavor enriched with deep spirituality.

“The Catholic Campaign for Human Development was founded to help people help themselves,” the bishop continued. “To give them a start, to help them produce what they need to provide for themselves, their families and their communities.”

People in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph contribute to the funds awarded by the CCHD. Bishop Finn said the annual second collection for CCHD is the second largest of the external collections in the diocese, second only to Catholic Relief Services.

Each year, usually in November, parishes across the country take a second collection for CCHD. Of the funds collected, 25 percent stays in the dioceses to fund local projects that benefit the community. The remaining 75 percent goes to the National CCHD organization to support anti-poverty initiatives across the U.S. More…

Lisa Graas is a Catholic convert and mom of four who blogs on U.S./Kentucky politics and Catholic culture. Lisa is a pre-emminent Catholic blogger and we are so proud to have her here on ACBlog. Lisa’s Blog is http://www.lisagraas.com and is on Twitter @LisaGraas and on Facebook.

One Comments to “Bishop Finn Puts CCHD Funds to Good Use”

  1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by sofia guerra, Lisa Graas. Lisa Graas said: RT @alwayscatholic: Blessed 2x this wk: @LisaGraas posting on ACBlog! Bishop Finn Puts CCHD Funds to Good Use http://bit.ly/aM2fZN Thk u … […]

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

%d bloggers like this: